Friday 20 September 2013

Mothers and other wonderful things

I love England and over the past ten years it has become my home, but my heart will never truly leave my beloved South Africa. I have been able to go and visit my parents nearly every year since I left home, but due to the changes in our circumstances this year, I will not be able to make the trip over there. Luckily there was a compromise to be had and my mum came to visit us!

My mum and I are very similar souls and it is from her that I got my love of colour and using my hands to create beautiful things. She is a quilter and a very talented one at that. My house is filled with her amazing creations and I am very privileged to own these colourful works of art. I was lucky enough to receive this newest addition to my collection on my mum's arrival.



We also share a love of good food and fresh fruit and we made sure to eat as many doughnut peaches as we possibly could while they were (briefly) in season.


Tomatoes is another one of our favourite things and we ate them in all shapes and sizes, fried, grilled or just simply cut into salads, we're not picky :)


The weather wasn't exactly on it's best behaviour over the two week visit and we had to spend a lot of time indoors. Luckily my mum is also a keen crocheter and we were more than happy to while away the hours with hooks and yarn, chatting and laughing and catching up with each others lives. Happy times :)

As is always the case when you are having fun, the time flew past us at a worrying pace and before we knew it, it was time for my mum to fly home again. It never gets any easier to say goodbye and I never manage to keep the tears from flowing when I walk the other way. At least this time I was able to give something of my own to my mum to take with her for those days when we miss each other so. A little bit of me and a little bit of South Africa all in one colourful blanket.




 
It was so lovely to make this blanket and I put a lot of love into the making of it and am happy to say that I loved the end result. The best part of all was to give it to someone I love dearly and that it now lives in the home where my heart lives too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I am welling up. I know a little of how you feel, my eldest lives in Holland, and my parents up in Cumbria, I haven't seen them since New Year. I hate the partings. But your African flowers blanket is truly stunning, I have just started making the motifs for a Nelliephant, yours are so neat. Made with love, your mum will treasure it. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom sounds like a wonderful person. I'm so glad you had the chance to spend time together. Your blanket is gorgeous. I just saw it on Ravelry the other day and I'm very impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful blanket and what a lovely gift. I'm new to crochet and have aspirations of being able to make something as pretty as that!

    ReplyDelete