Monday 10 December 2012

Back to Baking

For a little while there I had completely lost my baking mojo. I just couldn't find the inspiration or desire to bake anything and found myself buying chocolate bars and packets of biscuits for those moments we wanted something sweet. It didn't feel right though and I knew that I had to do something to get myself back into the baking spirit.

Luckily I got to spend a few wonderful hours walking around Covent Garden with a friend last week and we immersed ourselves in all things Christmas. The smells of mulled wine, gingerbread and chocolate wafted towards us from all of the beautifully decorated stalls and by the time I got home I was feeling very festive indeed. With my senses still buzzing from all of the Christmassy goodness, I headed straight to my kitchen to see if I could create my own bit of Festive cheer.

 
 
Dried cranberries always feel festive to me, and I immediately knew that I wanted to use some of these ruby red jewels to bake some cookies. There obviously had to be some chocolate involved too, and I had the perfect swirled choc-chips waiting in my cupboard still left over from my trip to Canada.
 
 
 
After a very joyful hour of mixing, scooping and baking I had the pleasure of eating a still slightly warm, gooey, scrumptious cookie. No store bought biscuit can hold a candle against that! Oh how happy I was to be baking again :) 
 



 
Festive Cheer Cookies
 
  • 175g unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 175g soft light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs (beaten)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 175g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • A pinch of salt
  • 175g rolled oats
  • 100g dried sweetened cranberries
  • 100g mixed choc chips (milk and white)

Preheat the oven to 180 °C/350 °F/Gas 4. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
In the bowl of a standing mixer (or using held held beaters), cream together the butter and sugar and pale and fluffy.
Add the vanilla to the butter mixture and then beat in the eggs until the mixture is smooth.
Slowly beat in the flour, mixing well and then add the oats, cranberries and chocolate chips, making sure everything is evenly distributed.
Use a small ice-cream scoop to spoon the mixture onto the baking sheets and flatten the cookies slightly using a fork.
Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes until they are lightly golden brown and starting to crisp around the edges.
Leave the cookies to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Of course, they are simply delicious eaten still a little bit warm.





4 comments:

  1. Ohhh.....noted, mentally digested and I can't wait to bake these too. You just cannot buy decent baked goods, I agree! Where do I find mixed choc chips in this country? Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona, the Internet would probably be your best bet for finding these mixed choc chips, although I have seen some in Lakeland too. If you can't find any, you can just use half milk chips and half white chips. Happy baking!

      Delete
  2. Can smell those cookies right now lol.
    Nothing better than a homebaked cookie!!

    ReplyDelete